Thursday, December 21, 2006

Repertoire

Many rep companies around the country beg for money this time of year. They have to in order to sustain their season. So, they focus their energies on subscriptions, soliciting tax deductible donations and producing holiday classics like, "A Christmas Carol" or "The Nutcracker". These traditions allow families to go to the theatre and many children cut their theatrical teeth on these Christmas tales. People go year after year because it gets them in the mood for the holiday season. It just doesn't feel like Christmas unless I see Sugar Plum Fairies or the ghost of Jacob Marley. Other companies run satirical or campy holiday material for the Scrooges who've seen one too many Rankin/Bass animated Christmas specials on the Family Channel. For anyone who acknowledges the Christmas season's existence, there are any number of options for your entertainment dollar.

But where are you the rest of the year?

I have nothing against "A Christmas Carol" or "The Nutcracker" or any production of "The Santaland Diaries". I think they are all worthy of their status in our culture. But, having never been a performer or director in any kind of company that lasted longer than one season, I often wonder if the company members tire of the material year after year? Does anyone grumble that they would rather be doing "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" or "Barefoot in the Park"? Or anything else?

In my humble estimation there are about 2 optimum weekends per year for producing a new show. Everything else is bad timing. Gee, I'd love to do "Mother Courage" but we have to start gearing up for our holiday show. Can't interfere with that, it's our moneymaker for the year. In January and February it's too cold so we have to put on something that is warm and crowd pleasing to get people to come out to the theatre. Besides, there's our annual Valentine's Day promotion we need to consider. March, April and May it is starting to get warmer but we'll have Spring Break to contend with. June, July and August are just too hot and, even though we are air conditioned all those bodies do make for a very hot time. Psychologically, people really don't like to sit for long during the summer months. September we have people going back to school and we loose audiencees then. October and November we have to compete with Halloween and fall festivals and Thanksgiving and then we have to get right back to Christmas.

I've always wanted to have my own company as I figured it would allow me some freedom and control. It really doesn't because you always have to chase down your operating budget. I dream of having my own space to play with as I please. I have dreamed of it for decades, but it would only force me to make concessions as an artist that I am really not prepared to make. I guess it is best for me to function as a singular artist, producing willy nilly and on a shoestring.

You know, I think having available funds creates only the illusion of freedom. Those funds always come with strings attached to desires attached to moral sensibilities attached to judgments which are not necessarily your own. Those funds decide what you produce and how you produce it. But if you do it as a pauper, it's all yours and your guts are in it. Because, when you have no funding, what else can you put into a production but your guts? You've got nothing else, baby. Your guts will have to do. God, isn't that exciting? I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

I'm afraid that when money becomes a major factor in art that it sucks out all the passion. We are losing our ability to scream. We become complacent. We lose sight of what those three ghosts mean to Ebeneezer. We lose their message. If we lose their message, then there is no real or vital reason to keep telling the story.

Unless it is only to make a few extra bucks.

No comments: