Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Finger In Every Pie

Seriously, divas are not cute. They're not funny and they shouldn't be tolerated.

There has been some talk amongst my circle of friends about how directors are wanting to copyright stage directions. How desperate for attention and validation is that? You can't go upstage left on that line without paying me two dollars! I WROTE upstage left! Oh please.

It isn't to say that directors do not make an important contribution to any production, they do. I'd like to think I've come up with some nice things as a director. But when is enough enough? I've had work stolen from me. I know how much it stings and how unfair it is that someone else should profit from your hard labor. Of course, I also know that my work was stolen because it was good. I also know that if Samuel French prints those stage directions chances are that the only people who are going to actually use them will be high schools and community theatres. Any professional director would make another choice and if they are unable or unwilling to make another choice, then maybe they need all the help they can get.

There's nothing new under the sun. I'm tiring of the paranoia. It's getting old sitting around thinking of ways to talk up a show or a script or whatever I've been working on without actually giving any of the concept away for fear I may be scooped or outright robbed. Doing just about anything in this business is hard enough without everyone needing to have a cut of this or a piece of that. I hate the thought that I might be living and working among vultures desperate to pick away at my creative carcass even though I still have some life in me. This is an ensemble artform and for ensembles to work there needs to be an element of trust and generosity. All the grubbing makes me nauseous.

Of course I realize that people need to be properly compensated for their efforts and appropriately recognized for their contributions. I just feel sick and disgusted that we live in a day and age where it is NECESSARY to plan the appropriate kudos in advance. Alas, people scramble to protect their intellectual property because in this day and age it is the only property a person can afford to own. I just lament the fact that the days of "Hey guys! I got an idea! Let's put on a show!" are long gone. Instead we have to worry about directors who want to interfere with the writer's ability to publish. Then there are actors who believe their face and figure are such a valuable commodity that they will bog down a project with heavy paychecks and ludicrous perks. Or how about producers who bristle at any touch of controversy and steamroll the artists they pretend to champion all to line their pockets with a few more dollars? When everyone is out for themselves there is no ensemble. I'm afraid the ensemble is dead. When the ensemble dies, I'm afraid the stories die with them.

Art should be given with an open heart. Perhaps I'm naive. I know that if I continue in my career with that as a guiding principle that people will take advantage of me over and over again. But you cannot steal from me that which I willingly give. I wish I was brave enough to invoke the concept of karma in my artistic pursuits. I wouldn't screw you intentionally, so don't screw me or you'll pay Universal consequences! I think I might be happier if I let this stuff go, but since everyone else has to work within this letigious framework then so do I. Right? Or is it that I am just too chicken to throw myself to the wolves?

I have some time to consider my options, but I'd rather just make my art.

No comments: