Thursday, October 26, 2006

See Me Naked

Clearly this is a cheap admission in the hopes of gaining readers, but the truth is you CAN see me naked.

You just have to go to London between November 10th and January 3rd in order to do so.

Yes, a few years ago I answered an ad and was chosen to pose nude for a photographer who then took my picture. His gallery show opens in London next month. My picture is just a small part of the show, but still. I'm a work of art! I will add a link to his site once it is up and running, but I must comment on how telling people I posed nude is way more fun than posing nude. And posing was a lot of fun.

I made the choice to answer the ad because I had been feeling pretty horrible about my post-baby body. It was a bit of a rebellion on my part. Screw you! I'm 180 pounds, I've got stretch marks and YES I AM a true redhead. Thanks for asking! Jeff and his crew were warm and supportive, not to mention appreciative. It felt good to have them oooh and ahhh over the polaroids they took to test the lighting . I know they were really ooohing and ahhhing over the gorgeously gritty lighting that made me look like a painting by a Dutch Master, but I'll take what I can get.

Jeff was very particular. He gave me very specific physical direction that felt awkward and tense, but to see the result you would think I had just fallen into that position like a deck of cards in a game of 52 pick up. As Jeff encouraged me to take a polaroid home with me, his crew proceeded to poke through the pictures, giving me advice about which image I should take home with me saying things like, "Your husband will go wild about this one. Look at you!". In true midwestern girl fashion I chose the throw away with the ill placed vacuum in the foreground and my face tilted away from the camera. I was more comfortable with my slack belly and exposed breasts than with my own face.

I enjoyed the experience. It was terribly liberating and I remember running into a friend from school that I had not seen in years just outside the building. I had a little secret that was written on my forehead. I know he knew something was up, but I also know there is no way he would have guess what I had just done.

Which is why this gallery show is a delicious surprise to me. I've been telling friends about the show and I get widely different reactions from people depending on how they know me. My actor friends are not surprised. After all, how many of them had seen me naked backstage or after a few drinks at the old nerd bar across from Circle in the Square? But my mommy friends are not quite sure how to take the news. You did that when? You got paid? That's not going to be seen in New York, is it? What about your son? Is he going to see you naked? Are you sure you weren't taken advantage of? Are you okay? My old high school friends aren't particularly surprised, but they do tend to be curious. Wow. Where can I see this now? What photographer should I Google?

Truthfully, I am just pleased to have been a part of something. I am proud that I did it and I hope that I'll get to see it here in NYC someday. If it does, I'll take all of you to see it.

No comments: