Friday, October 27, 2006

Quitting

I am not a quitter. I don't quit. I've stuck out projects, jobs, and relationships that literally made me ill simply because I promised I would.

I'm a little blown away. I was watching a playwright's seminar on CUNY TV and I heard John Patrick Shanley say, "...I've always had the tremendous ability to quit."

Really?

Shanley aside, as this post is not about his work specificially, this has just flipped a switch in my brain. Maybe there are ocassions when it is appropriate to quit so that you may move on.

Really?

I'm not sure how I feel about that because my word is my bond. But what might have happened if I had left those aforementioned situations before they wore me down? What if I made choices that were entirely in my own self interest?

What if?

No comments: