Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I Don't Have to Freak Out

Breathe. In. Out. In. Out.

There IS time.

Just because the roller coaster is slowly ticking to the top of the hill does not mean that the drop needs to be so horrifying. You got on this ride for a reason. You wanted to experience that free fall. You wanted the wind screaming in your ears and the jostling, twisting and turning. You are strapped into the safety harness. Yes, when you take that loop your butt will leave the seat and your shoulders will strain against the padded metal harness, but the odds are with you. You will not be featured on some Jon Stossel report about the dangers of roller coasters. You will be okay. You stood in line for this ride for too long to back out now. You wanted to be on this ride. So quit yer bitchin'.

Week two of rehearsals has begun to turn my hair white. Not because anything is wrong, but because that old sense of inferiority has begun to creep in. Who the hell are you to ask people to come see your show? Hmmm? Why would anyone help you? No one has any faith in you at all! You are a worthless loser! A no talent hack and the very worst kind of no talent hack- the kind that fancies she's got some artistic integrity! What a laugh!

Maybe I should make a Voodoo doll of that voice in my head. Do you think that would work? I've tried just about everything else. If I could just get a physical representation of that damn thing, maybe I could beat it into submission, rip it apart, destroy it. What use is it to me? Even if I DO suck (which, in all honesty, I don't think I do) it wouldn't stop me anyway. It just makes me sick and miserable. Stupid voice!

No. I don't have to freak out because I am not required to be perfect. In fact, my job demands the exact opposite. My job requires me to be messy, ugly, fat, insecure, and uncertain. The fact that I already have all of these things inside me should be a plus! There's no reason to hide them. I'm a nuerotic mess playing a nuerotic mess! I need to let the rest of it go because it is just useless baggage weighing me down.

At today's rehearsal I am going to be desperate and messy because that's how I feel. Then I am going to feel good about it. Then I am going to spend an evening with my son and I am going to slow things down.

I don't have to freak out.

No comments: