Monday, January 08, 2007

On the Eve of an Opening

Preparing for a show as a producer is a lot like planning a big party. It could be any party. It could be a bratty sweet 16, a retirement party, a wedding or a funeral. The anxiety is always the same. Do I rate high enough to get people to show up? You hope. You hand out postcards, hang up flyers, send emails and cross your fingers. Screw the critics, unless they come. It doesn't matter what they write as long as they write about you.

The night before a show I have been known to stay awake all night worrying about things that I should have done. As an actor, these concerns are rather paltry as it is so much easier to feel like you've done your part if you show up and tell your friends that they should come. As a producer you have to have magic powers to do the impossible- get strangers out of their homes and ask them to give you money. It is at this point that I start to wonder if I've given my audience their money's worth. Then I fret about all the mistakes I've made along the way.

Let's not kid ourselves. When Ben and I decided to tackle this project we said we wanted to do it for fun. It's a great script and it suits us to a T. But now that we are less than 24 hours from opening it is easy to come down with a little blood lust. Give me some attention! Give me accolades, kudos and free drinks! Or just come see the show because, damn it, it's a good show.

Tomorrow night we open "Adventures in Mating" by Joseph Scrimshaw at the #43 Stage @ Jimmy's at 8PM. Check out our website which you will find linked on your right. I feel really good about this one. I'm sure you will, too.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Break a leg! Or, whatever you say to producers. I wish I were still out East to see it.