Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Unexpected Rigors of a Choose Your Own Adventure Show

I've never had difficulty memorizing text. I'm not the world's best or wittiest improvisor, but I can do it in a pinch. I do love doing it, regardless of my shortcomings at it. But "Adventures in Mating" by Joseph Scrimshaw (see the plug to the right) has provided some interesting challenges for me.

Adventures in Mating (as it is currently being performed- there is an extended version debuting next month in Minneapolis) has over 30 different scene combinations. I can handle the flow. I understand how all the scenes work individually and can make the appropriate justifications to make them fit together. However, I am finding it challenging to justify individual moments with what has come previously because, on any given night we may have run a few different scene combinations before the actual show just to stay sharp. Sometimes it is hard remembering which scenes we've done in front of the audience! I caught myself on Monday night responding to a choice that had been made in an earlier scene during rehearsals that afternoon instead of to the choice that had been made during the actual show. The audience didn't seem to notice and I had corrected myself as much as possible without denying the reality I had just created but it was a cautionary moment for me. I must be well rested to do this show! I need to have extra brain cells firing!

This show is different from any other show. In a regular play you simply fall back on the often linear text and if you derail you and your fellow cast members usually find your way back to the text as it should be. In improv you are not beholden to any text so you do what you can to get yourself out of a jam and move on. Here you are still required to be faithful to the text but if you aren't paying attention you will end up doing an entirely different scene. On Tuesday night I found myself wondering if I was doing the right ending. Luckily I was, but for a good minute or two I had my doubts. Not that the audience would have been any the wiser and I certainly trust Ben and Steve to catch me if I fall (excellent chaps to work with, no doubt) but that was a heady couple of minutes. I'm sickened to say that it was thrilling and that I can't wait to wonder if I'm screwing up again. What sick, sick fun!

I will have to wait until Monday for the pleasure, but until then I will pour over my script and prepare for that horrible day when one of my ex-teachers shows up to show their support. Nothing can mess you up more than trying to prove to a teacher that you still remember all that they taught you. I suppose it is best not to prove anything at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been mentally preparing answers for Alan already. So far I've got "Yeah... well... how's your beard going, stupid!?" I'm going to keep polishing that one.